How Tanner Health Has Found Success Through Advanced Market Segmentation
Stratasan's Drake Jarman and Kelly Meigs of Tanner Health System led a breakfast session on “How to Create Planning and Marketing Initiatives Based on Real-Time Intelligence” at this year's GSHMPR Annual Conference. Attendees learned how, by geocoding internal patient data to the block group level, Tanner Health System can assess growth plans in real-time and pivot execution strategies as needed.
Download the slides from their presentation, here.
In this post, we’ll share some of the insights from this presentation. We’ll discuss how to make more data-based decisions, the value of a micro-target marketing strategy, and some key takeaways from Tanner Health System’s marketing experience.
Data-Driven Marketing Decisions
Data-driven decision making is the most reliable and accurate way for healthcare marketers and planners to develop growth strategies. You can read more about the foundation for data-driven decision making, the DIKW pyramid, in this blog post. Here are a few ways to start making data-driven marketing decisions today:
- Choose the right data. It can be overwhelming to understand how the various available datasets differ, why they differ, and which is the right dataset for your planning and marketing needs. Weeding through the options and determining the right data source is a critical first step. Without a doubt, when armed with insights from the right data, planners and liaisons can gain a more complete picture of the opportunities within their market. Read more here about two of the main datasets—state and all-payer claims data.
- Ensure you have a reliable data process. "Data processing" refers to the collection, aggregation, cleaning, and updating of data so you can use it to make informed strategic decisions. Once you have clean, organized data, you can more effectively use that data to analyze and extract helpful insights. Not sure how strong your data process is? Take this quiz to find out.
- Inform your plans with micro-target marketing. Mass marketing, shotgun marketing, spray and pray marketing—call it what you like, but if your marketing strategy can be described in any of these ways, you’re likely wasting valuable money, creating marketing programs with no trackable ROI, alienating large patient groups, and missing opportunities to connect with your preferred population. Micro-target marketing will allow you to start creating promotional campaigns that produce trackable, positive results. Read more about Tanner Health System’s micro-target marketing experience below.
“The days of spending marketing money and executing plans that don’t have a reliable measurement system are gone. Marketing teams need fast, reliable, and in-depth information about potential customers in order to build outreach campaigns that have the highest probability of a favorable ROI and that meet specific annual goals.” - Kelly Meigs, Tanner Health System
Tanner uses micro-target marketing for in-depth block group and census tract analysis of their market. They have learned the buying habits, out-migration, and lifestyle choices of their target audience and use Tapestry Segmentation to create marketing campaigns tailor-made to reach their most desirable patients. They can then track the effectiveness of their marketing endeavors and made real-time adjustments as needed. A few of Tanner’s key strategies include the following:
Tailoring your message:
- Promote specific service line offerings to the appropriate micro-markets
- Adjust timing and placement of marketing materials to the lifestyle of the target audience
- Ensure the photography and design of campaign materials resonate with the target audience’s core values
- Purchase direct mailing lists available at the block group level
- Keep efforts targeted to avoid wasting resources and creating ineffective campaigns
Every marketing campaign should be measurable:
- Make marketing strategy decisions based on data
- Then make course-corrections based on data
- If you don’t have access to a data resource, find a partner to help you
Insights from Tanner Health System’s Story
Strategists at Tanner Health System want to know: what opportunities exist in our market to increase volume? As opportunities are identified, Tanner will launch their 11-step strategic planning process to address growth potential.
Planning tools include:
- In-depth competitive landscape research and analysis
- Market performance research including service line deep dives of Tanner and their main competitors
- Overall market volume changes
- Market share shifts over time
- Sub-service line analysis
- Payer mix trends
- Micro-target marketing process
- Identified block groups with the best growth opportunity for Tanner based on volumes, payer, and geography
Through block group and census tract analysis the team identifies the demographics, healthcare utilization, buying habits, lifestyle choices, and out-migration trends of the target audience as well as main competitors. They deploy marketing tactics with marketing campaigns based upon demographics and psychographics of their target populations.
They track the effectiveness of marketing endeavors by comparing current to past performance, tracking overall volume, payer mix, and financials. Finally, they compare performance of their overall market (service area) as well as the targets to show results of their targeted marketing campaign.
Using this data-driven approach, Tanner has been able to:
- Find geographic opportunities
- Find payer opportunities
- Uncover potential physician strategies
By deploying data-based marketing tactics, tailoring marketing campaigns to better connect with specific demographics and psychographics of their target populations, and pivoting strategies as needed in real-time, Tanner Health System has been able to expand their business through thoughtful, trackable, and informed intelligence.
For more information on how you can uncover and address opportunities, identify when strategies need attention, and create action plans that produce measurable results contact Sean Conway and schedule a discovery call today.